I never in my life thought getting out of the Marine Corps would be this hard.. I guess I was dreaming? Those of you who are a part of the USMC know why I say that.
Here's the back story. Brian turned in his separation paperwork on July 2nd, 2010. We were all packed up to go. Myself, his parents, and our dogs just waiting for him to get the OK that we could start the trek back to Minnesota. Well he came to the hotel to get us and told us we had to wait until the next day. A Saturday no less, which also happened to be during the 4th of July 96. Did they honestly expect us to wait another 5-6 days to get this DD214? We called and they told us it would be mailed to us the following week and we would have no problems. So his mom and I jumped in our SUV and he and his dad in the 26' Penske and started our 36 hour trek back to Minnesota. We called the next week and were told we would have to wait until his EAS [End Active Service] date to get his DD214. This puzzled me but I went with it b/c what other choice did I have?
Well August 16th rolls around. The day after his EAS date and the first business day and we call. They say there is a whole batch going out and it's probably in it so to give it a week. 10 days later still nothing. I call, get a Sgt. He takes our names, number and information down and says he will call back in a few hours to let us know what is going on... he never did. The next morning I called with a vengeance. I talk to a nice woman lcpl and she puts me on hold with what feels like forever and she tells me Brian's DD214 was mailed out on July 16th and could take 4-6 weeks to get to his Home of Record [which is his parents house, 2 miles from where we live now] I then advise to her that if that is in fact when it was mailed then it has been 7 weeks and that we have a problem. I ask her how to get a duplicate and she states to contact the VA or Headquarters Marine Corps. Really that's all you can tell me?! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH
We've called everyone we can think of, everyone we know. Requested records online. Talked with Brian's private college and he has exactly 2 weeks from today to have that DD214 or he can't go to school this semester. That's really not an option. He's been waiting for this for 4 years... He needs to go to school, we don't really have a back-up plan at this time. I'm so annoyed. Well we get this card in the mail today regarding our online request and are given a number to contact that supposedly now holds his records. I'm praying to the good lord above that someone has the answers tomorrow. Otherwise Brian will be getting in the car tomorrow afternoon and making the 1400 mile drive to NC again to get this STUPID certified DD214 so he can finally start his life outside of the USMC. I'm so angry at how unhelpful the Marine Corps is, how people are not more willing to help. The VA and Govt wonder why so many Marines and Soldier's are killing themselves b/c they can't get help. [insert example right here] I'm so lucky my husband has an amazing support system and well quite frankly [and he reminds me quite often] what a bitchy wife he has that doesn't get off his back. I don't know where he would be if I wasn't. I'd go to the ends of the earth for him if he asked, even though I know he never would.
We will get through this, I just wish it was easier. I want him to go to school, achieve his dreams and be happy. I know I am now that I am home, almost graduating and having a full time job. I just want that for him. I want him to be rid of the USMC. I am sick of them controlling us, even after his EAS date. Oh and not to mention we haven't been paid in 5 weeks. We're still waiting on our last two paychecks. Here's to hoping Mypay is right and we actually get it all on Sept. 15th. Thank goodness we had a savings acct and back-up plan for money. B/c lord knows we'd be in the doghouse if we didn't.
If you read this say a little prayer we get a little miracle tomorrow. I'm ready for that chapter to be over. I'll never forget the past 3.5 years the MC has been in my life. But I sure will be happy when my husband gets the benefits he deserves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment